Founded in 1873 by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, Saint Joseph Hospital was the first private hospital in Colorado and is today recognized as one of the top hospitals in the nation. Specializing in advanced heart care, pregnancy and childbirth, cancer treatment, emergency care, respiratory medicine, orthopedics and surgery, Saint Joseph Hospital continues to offer the high-quality, affordable healthcare that has served Denver for more than 140 years.
Recent Awards and Designations
- Saint Joseph Hospital was given several quality and safety awards by Healthgrades, an independent online resource that rates physicians and hospitals, including being named as one of America’s 100 Best™ Hospitals in 2014.
- Saint Joseph Hospital’s advanced heart care program has Colorado's highest composite quality scores for coronary artery bypass grafting surgery (CABG) and aortic valve replacement (AVR) from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- Saint Joseph Hospital’s Comprehensive Cancer Center is an accredited Academic Comprehensive Cancer Program.
- Saint Joseph Hospital’s Breast Care Center is accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers for its comprehensive service offerings and quality outcomes and is also accredited by the American College of Radiology as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence.
- Saint Joseph Hospital is accredited as an ASMBS Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence for weight loss surgery.
- Saint Joseph Hospital is an accredited as Primary Stroke Center and an accredited Chest Pain Center when it comes to emergency care.
Graduate Medical Education
As the largest private teaching hospital in Colorado, Saint Joseph Hospital offers accredited resident training in family practice, obstetrics and gynecology, internal medicine, and surgery to more than 100 residents each year.
A Network of Faith-based, Nonprofit Healthcare
Saint Joseph Hospital is part of SCL Health, a faith-based, nonprofit healthcare organization operating eight hospitals, four safety net clinics, one children’s mental health treatment center and more than 190 ambulatory service centers in Colorado, Kansas and Montana. Our $2.3 billion health network is dedicated to improving the health of the communities and individuals we serve, especially those who are poor and vulnerable. Each year, SCL Health provides more than $250 million in community benefit, including services for the poor, health screenings, educational programs, community donations and research. Like Saint Joseph Hospital, SCL Health was founded by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, who opened their first hospital in 1864.